More Animatic Progress

I made 35 new storyboard sketches yesterday. I’m scanning them in right now. I’ve also created 10 CG animatic shots for spacecraft exterior shots. This puts me a bit behind where I had hoped to be at the beginning of the week, but I’m still making pretty good progress.


Progress on Animatic and Some Renderings

There are a lot of exterior space shot in the 2nd half of the pilot episode, and I decided it would actually be easier to do rough animatics of these in Blender than to sketch them all — and it will certainly look better. So this week I’m doing a lot of quick renderings in Blender. So far it’s going pretty well, although am still a little behind where I hoped I’d be. There’s still a good chance I can get the animatic finished this weekend if “real life” doesn’t get in the way too much!


Cast Read-Throughs

We completed the principal cast read-throughs for both “No Children in Space” and “Earth” as scheduled. Everything went remarkably smoothly and we finished in about half the time I estimated it would take.


Storyboards / “Sketchy-Matic”

Here’s a little information about my storyboard and animatic process, since that’s what I’ve been working on today. This is not the animatic we’re advertising as a goal of this Kickstarter — these are the sketches that I make myself. To keep clear which is which, I call this my “sketchy-matic”, since my storyboards are pretty sketchy. I start with 4″x6″ plain index cards, which I draw on with colored pens. The drawings are very sketchy because 1) I’m not a great comic artist and 2) because it only really has to communicate what the shot, so it’s not necessary to have a whole lot of detail. One of the better likenesses in my storyboards — but still quite sketchy :-)


From the “No Children in Space” soundtrack – Soyuz Flight sequence

Here is a suite of three tracks by Butterfly Tea (“Rise of the Titans”, “Back to Adventure”, and “Andorria Main Title”) which will accompany the Soyuz launch sequence in the pilot episode: A few questions have been raised about this music and its licensing, which I feel I should probably answer here: It is my belief that focusing on the positive value of free-licensed work and providing artists with a revenue stream from that work will help to increase the perceived value of releasing under free licenses, and ultimately provide a wider pool of material for us to draw on in the future. As with many other aspects of the “Lunatics” business plan, this is all about sustainability .


Moving on to Production for the Pilot Episode

Hi all! I wanted to let you know that we have launched the fund-raiser for production of the pilot episode, “No Children in Space”: Lunatics Animated Series Pilot – “No Children in Space” We really wanted to launch on Moon Day, July 20th, and we have. This is of course, the 43rd anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon. We were working really hard to make this deadline (really important, because we actually advertised the date this time). So, I’m really happy we made it.


Announcing our Core Animation Team

We are pleased to announce our core team of seven very talented artists for modeling, rigging, and animation: Andrew Pray, Cosmin Planchon, Guillaume Côté, Sathish Kumar, Vyacheslav Yastrebcev, Timothée Giet, and Gorka Mendieta. They will be working on the “teaser trailer” for “No Children in Space” and some animation tests, all of which will be released during our Kickstarter campaign (which launches THIS FRIDAY – JULY 20TH – “MOON DAY”).


Principal Voice Cast for the Pilot

We are now announcing the principal voice cast for the pilot episode of “Lunatics”: William Roberts (Rob), Karrie Shirou (Hiromi), Ariel Hancock (Georgiana), Lex Quarterman (Tim) Paul Birchard (Josh), and Veronika Kurshinskaya (Anya). These are the six series regular characters who will be in the pilot episode. There are two more regulars coming in episodes 2 and 3, who we have not yet cast.